Taylorsville, North Carolina, United States
$20-$22/hr (depending on experience)
This is an entry level technical position with training provided, working under limited supervision, to perform cabling and equipment installs, service calls, and upgrades for Open Broadband locations, as well as residential and business customers. Under direction, leads, oversees and participates in performing a wide variety of skilled tasks with low-voltage structured cable including making and installing, repair, troubleshoot, planning, modification and design. Serves customers by installing and servicing wireless systems and associated equipment.
· Make connectors, install and route structured CAT6 cables.
· Test cables end-to-end to verify connectors and cables are good.
· Ability to run cables through risers in multi-story buildings.
· Label, run, clip and/or tie wrap cables to form nicely dressed bundles along the cable run, including slack where needed, and rain loops on outdoor runs.
· Install brackets, J-mounts, and other support structures to walls and poles.
· Install and align small wireless antennas, access points, web cameras, and small electronics such PoE adaptors and surge protectors.
· Assemble cabinets, enclosures, mounting brackets, and solar panel systems.
· Run ground wire to a grounding source.
· Clear the premises of all debris and materials after job is done.
· Educate customer on proper use of internet services and equipment, including future troubleshooting steps.
· Maintain accurate records such as but not limited to time worked, daily logs, gas sheets, expense logs as required; properly record all required information on data devices and/or work orders
· Perform other duties as assigned or requested by Open Broadband leadership.
· Must have a reliable vehicle and a valid driver's license with good driving record
· Must have a ladder that can reach 20+ feet, and a vehicle to transport it.
· Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and in writing in a clear and professional manner.
· Must own common cable technician tools, such as a laptop, tester, voltage meter, pliers, toner, crimper, drill, bits, ladder, etc.
· Be able to lift minimum of 50lbs
· Must be able to bend, lift, crawl, climb ladders, crouch, kneel, pull, push and repetitive motions
· Be able to perform activities both inside and outside, in any type of weather.
· Be able to work from heights such as on man lift, scissor and rooftops
Abilities and Knowledge
· Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
· Ability to accurately measure distances, using tapes or other measuring devices
· Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder, (approx. 20-32 ft. high)
· Ability to perform job from high places (i.e. poles and roofs, eaves, platforms)
· Ability to work while standing 50 - 70% of the time
· Ability to travel to and from assigned location and company facilities
· Familiarity with computer operating systems, consumer communications devices (e.g. smartphones, routers, and wireless devices), and computer software applications
· Ability to complete documentation accurately
· High School Diploma/GED required, some technical school or military training preferred
· Prefer 1+ year equivalent experience in low voltage structured cabling
· Tower climbing experience is a plus, but not required
Certifications and/or Licenses Desired
· Preference will be given to candidates who can provide evidence of CPCT (Certified Premise Cabling Technician) certification by the FOA and/or by an accredited program.
· This position will frequently involve face-to-face interaction with customers
· Work may occasionally be in confined spaces and poorly ventilated areas such as attics, basements and/or crawlspaces
· Work may occasionally have exposure to dust, dirt, noise, insects, rodents, pets, and cleaning solutions
· Work on a flat roof if/where needed.
· Work outdoors in all kinds of weather and at all times of the day or night
· Work performed frequently on a ladder, and near power lines and electricity
· Occasionally required to work overtime as the business needs dictate